Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Coping Mechanisms: Allies Against the Enemy

 Here's the scene: the baby has woken up to eat in the middle of the night. While I nurse him in the glider in the nursery, my mind begins to go over my to-do list for the coming day. When I come to plans for cooking a casserole for our community group, my old frenemy wakes up. You see, I need to dice and cook chicken for this casserole. OCD reminds me that raw chicken can be contaminated with salmonella, which could get on the counters and my clothes, which could then get on the baby, which could invade his blood stream and give him a massive infection, which could ultimately hospitalize or kill him. Ugh.

My peaceful session of nursing my sweet boy has been overtaken by an anxiety attack. My heart is racing, my mind cannot grasp onto any calming thoughts, my breathing is too fast. Typically, my hubby can help me through an attack, but he's asleep and has work in the morning. What can I do now?

Between nursing school and counseling, the importance of coping mechanisms has been thoroughly impressed upon me. Without strong coping mechanisms, people cannot effectively navigate crises. It has taken me my whole life to come up with a set of skills that can keep an anxious moment from turning into a full-blown panic attack.


Some coping mechanisms are common to all anxiety/OCD sufferers. Some, however, are personal to each person. In my opinion, everyone needs a few things that are unique to them to help them stop the speeding panic wagon from pulling them over the cliff. Here are some of mine:

1. Laundry.
 Yes, laundry. Sorting it out, washing it, drying it, folding it. The clean smell. The warmth. Taking a disorderly pile of clothes and making neat piles. It is so very calming and distracting. Good thing we have a laundry room now and a near-toddler to make LOTS of laundry for me to do.




2. Hot mugs of goodness. 
Whether it is coffee, tea, cider, cocoa, or even hot water, holding a warm mug in my hands helps me to breathe and relax. A fun mug can even draw a smile.

3. Gardening.
This is a new one for me. My thumbs are not green by any stretch of the imagination. However, having little plants to take care of forces me into the sunshine and out of my jammies in the morning. 







4. My "emergency card".
This idea came from my previous counselor. It is simply a laminated card with encouraging Bible verses on it. I can carry it anywhere and anytime. Just forcing myself to read through all the verses can sometimes pull my mind off the panic wagon.






5. My catfaces.
I am not recommending that anyone who has anxiety issues go out and get a cat. In reality, cats (or any pets) come along with responsibilities and triggers of their own. For me, though, my hubby and I adopted our first catface, Toulouse, when we graduated from college. We raised him from a tiny kitten, and he became a constant source of entertainment and cuddling and consternation. He was later joined by little Fleur.

When I was pregnant, neither or them would leave my side when I was on bedrest. Basically, my cats are a source of distraction and non-judgmental comfort. Even now that we've moved them to being outside cats, they still come around to snuggle or meow or run with me whenever I'm outside.

6. Running.
I was ran track in high school and have maintained a deep love of the freedom that comes from a good run. Working my muscles, clearing my mind, new scenery, the high afterward. Not to mention the serotonin running releases in my mind. Add in a running buddy like Toulouse...so good to kick my frenemy in the butt.






7. Sleeping and my bedroom.
I love sleep more than my cats love sleep. I certainly love naps more than my son loves naps. When a panic attack gets near, sometimes, curling up under a blanket and letting my brain rest can help. This only works if I catch the anxiety early enough. Otherwise, the rising panic will keep me awake.
Also, my bedroom is a source of sanctuary for me. Sunlight, a reminder to approach God with my worries and often, my hubby.











The last two "items" on this list are not really coping mechanisms. One, Christ, is a lifeline and the other, Zoloft, is a necessary evil.


8. My faith in Jesus Christ as my Savior

 OCD and other mental illnesses (and physical illnesses) are a result of the Fall. We are currently living in an unfair world, which will eventually be redeemed by the Second Coming of Jesus. Until then, knowing that He knows my heart and mind intimately helps me to trust Him with my anxieties. Mental illnesses cannot be simply prayed away or blamed upon spiritual warfare (except for certain occasions). However, prayer and maintaining my relationship with Jesus as Lord of my life, does help me to refocus away from the things that cause panic.

9. Zoloft
I fought against medication for years. As a nurse, I knew the side effects. I also knew that most meds were not compatible with childbearing. Eventually, though, therapy reached a plateau and my OCD was preventing me from being a good nurse and even wife. My physician was incredibly patient and took the time to research the best medication for OCD that was also safe for breastfeeding if I became pregnant. Though, I have successfully weaned myself off of Zoloft twice (once while going through fertility treatment and once during pregnancy), I'm not sure if I can come off of it any time soon. I hate the stigma associated with being on a mood-stabilizer. I hate not being able to be a productive person more. For now, I'll just make sure to take my "little blue pill" and keep trying to kick panic's butt.




No comments:

Post a Comment